Friday 28 January 2011

Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan (and Syria?) in 1989

this blog contains some of the best analysis of what is happening in Tunisia, Egypt, maybe Jordan and possibly Syria that I have read.  Not much in depth, but the comments are worth reading, and it opens up the issues to thought and debate, which is a good thing, hein?  The post I have linked to suggests that 2011 is this part of the world's 1989.  Nobody thought the Iron Curtain would come down, until Hungary opened its borders, East Germans went west, and it did.  Nobody thought there would be a democratic revolution in any country in this region, but it is happening.  Despite the verbal intervention of the Muslim Brotherhood, and the inevitable consequent arrest of its leaders in Egypt, I repeat that there is real hope.  Comments and views please.  Hat-tip Chris.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

The iron curtain fell because of the collapse of the Soviet Union. There is no Arab Dictator's Union to collapse, so we need to look at each country individually.

The way Tunisia is going, I'm not convinced we will see an orderly transition to a democracy. It looks more like another dictator will take over. I hope I'm wrong though.

In the case of Egypt, it looks like the existing regime will survive these protests. Again, I hope I am wrong in this assessment.

dreamingspire said...

This morning the ad above your post is for holidays in Tunisia...

Jonathan said...

I now no longer think the existing regime in Egypt can survive the protests.